Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Have you been "Christian Cursing?"

Have you been "Christian Cursing"? We all have and sometimes,
You can Pin me - Click the Picture!
Not even knowing it! We need to try to speak in a "Christ-Like" manner. We are Christians. Read on for the much-needed info. 


Matthew. 12:36 & 37 
King James Version (KJV) - "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. {37} For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." 

Titus. 2:7 & 8 
King James Version (KJV) - " In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity," {8} Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you."

According, to the scriptures typed out above, as Christians, (Which  means Christ-Like) We need to be very careful with our mouths because we will one day give an account to God. Most Christians are aware of the fact that God expects them to live holy lives. Likewise, most God-fearing Christians have learned to abstain from swearing and from the use of common profanity. I haven't met many faithful Christians who have a problem with worldly cursing. However, I have met MANY Christians who have stumbled into the Devil's trap and taken up a whole different kind of cursing. Keep reading, friend, because you just might need to "tune up" your vocabulary!

Are You Taking God's Name in Vain?

You say, "Oh my word. I wouldn't take God's name in vain!" You just did, though. John 1:1 says that "the Word" was GOD!

John 1:1 
King James Version (KJV) - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

So It's like you were saying Oh My God. Which is using GOD's name in a slang way. 

Satan tricked you, didn't he? We've all done it and we need to stay accountable and try not to do it anymore!

"Oh my goodness!" you say. If you are saved then your "goodness" is none other than God Himself. 

Psalm. 144:2 
King James Version (KJV) - "My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me."

The Bible says that All of Our goodness is as Filthy rags. 

Isaiah 64:6

King James Version (KJV) - "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;..."

You just took His name in vain again. We have no goodness of our own. Our lives are given by Christ. He is Good. We are not. 

Romans. 3:23
King James Version (KJV) - "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

Psalm. 39:5
King James Version (KJV) - "Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah."

So "my goodness" is a reference to God!
"Good grief. I had no idea!" That's actually "Christian Cursing" too... Jesus Christ was a man of sorrows and acquainted with GRIEF.

Isaiah. 53:3
King James Version (KJV) - "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not."

His grief was "good" grief because He bore your sins and mine! We together need to show more reverence and respect for our Saviour, brethren and quit throwing God's word around too loosely. Once again, I'm still learning this and I have done some of my own "Christian Cursing" but now that I've learned these things, I want to share them with you too. Together we can learn and try to show more reverence towards God the Almighty. 

You could say "For crying out loud! Can't I say anything?" 

How about reading your Bible because that's slang as well...

Matthew 27:46
King James Version (KJV) - "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

May I ask, What's your logic in using such speech? Could it be that Satan is just having a good laugh at our ignorance and disrespect of God's word? We have to be careful with our words!

"Well, geeeeeeee!" 
Hmmmm, Did you say "G", as in "GOD"? You may not have known it, but that is using God's name in a slang manner too. You've probably also said "Gosh" or "Good Golly", You might also have said "Jeepers Creepers" when you really wanted to say "Jesus Christ" (JC!). 

When I first realized that I was taking my Lord's name in vain often I was very sad and I have since then tried to work on it so I wouldn't continue saying "Idle Words" as the Bible calls it....

You might have played around with the letters "G" and "D" together. You said "dad gum", "dang gum", "dog gone" or "Dang gummit", when your flesh really wanted to say "God" and then follow with the word "damn". I was unaware of all these "New ways" of taking God's name in vain.. I mean Think about it, Christian... Is God pleased with this kind of speech?

Those Four-Letter Words...

You probably wouldn't think of using the word "damn" too loosely, but what about "darn" and "dang"? Do they not serve the same purpose? Is Satan not pleased to fill your mouth with such speech?

"Why, heck!" -Look out, friend! God knows your heart, and he knows your flesh is using heck in a slang way instead of just saying "hell".

Down south folks could say, "Ah, shoot!" This is nothing more than a cheap way of saying the four letter 'S' word... Again I ask, is God pleased with this sort of speech? Is this "sound speech, that cannot be condemned"? I think not. Be careful what you say. Think about what you say before you say it... You might find out that you were about to take God's name in vain. We ALL need to work on it.. No one is perfect. But we can try for perfection like how the Bible talks about. (Matthew. 5:48 KJV)

Swear Not.

Matthew. 5:34
King James Version (KJV) - "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

Jesus said "swear not," yet God's people swear very often, and sadly, Sometimes we don't even realize we're doing it. Such expressions as "for Heaven's sake", or "for Pete's sake", and "Heavens to Betsy" are attempts to swear by Bible subjects, which shows disrespect toward God. God's word is PURE and HOLY. We should honor His words, not throw them around. We all need to work on this, friend. 

Truth Is All the Authority You Need

Why do people curse and swear? There's only one reason: Authority. People want to sound more forceful and authoritative when they speak, so they spice their speech up with all sorts of catchy little "powerful words". Sadly, such words often dishonor God, the Bible, and the Lord Jesus Christ. Friend, Truth is all the authority you need. Just speak the truth as it is revealed in God's word and you'll have no use for "Christian cursing".

Remember this verse as you go about your day seeking to please the Savior. 

Matthew. 12:36
King James Version (KJV) - "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Thank you so much for taking time to look at my blog! XOXO